Tuesday, May 14, 2013

School Visit to Lone Peak


Recently I had the opportunity to go to Lone Peak High School to talk to the Creative Writing classes. It's funny because I always have this idea that students who are taking a writing class want to be writers. I shouldn't do this, because I realized halfway through my presentation that very few students actually wanted to become authors. A lot of them were just finding their creative side and fostering it through a writing class. When I asked the students, "So why are you in this class?" one responded, "To see if writing is something I want to do." 

As I spoke to the next class, I tried to make sure that the creative process applied to everyone. It's not just for writers. Artists, musicians, cooks, or anyone who is creating something needs to find how they get inspiration and transfer it to their medium.

I told the students that whether they wanted to choreograph a dance, write a song, or become a writer, finding their muse is key. Maybe their inspiration comes by brainstorming, keeping a journal, or sitting in nature. It's completely different for everyone, and I hope I got that message across.

Even though I was so nervous, it turned out to be a great experience. The teacher, Mr. Nelson is an awesome Creative Writing teacher, and I really liked this video he found for the class. It's about the Hero's Journey, and I think it's really helpful for writers, readers, or anyone who likes to create! As an added bonus it includes Harry Potter, Katniss Everdeen, and Frodo.





1 comment: