Monday, November 28, 2011

Someday we'll find it, the Rainbow Connection.


Sometimes when I hear this song I Just want to cry because it's so beautiful. For me it's not just a song I listened to when I was little--it's my family. It takes me back to memories of all of us living together in Alpine. We were as silly as ever with a family of six kids. I remember my siblings making up their own version of this song. “Someday we’ll find it, the peanut connection, the cashews, the almonds…”

Recently I was writing a scene in my novel where a character recalls a childhood song and sings it to Julia (my protagonist). Instantly this song came to mind.

I heard that The Rainbow Connection is on the new Muppets movie, so naturally I must go and see it. I love this song because it's such a time machine for me. It takes me back to those memories with my siblings, and makes me so grateful for my family. I love you guys!

In case you need to listen to this lovely song, I've posted the youtube of Sara McLachlan's version.



What are your favorite songs from your childhood?

7 comments:

  1. I can totally picture all you cute Ostler kids singing that song and changing it up. I like this story, it's so endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exact same thing happens to me when I hear Don't Worry Be Happy. My family would sing it in the car as we drove from West Valley to Alpine before we moved into our house in Alpine. It reminds me of the hard financial times my parents went through and still are going through and always made me smile that this was our song to make us smile even through hard times. :) Thanks for sharing hez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krystal,

    you know us all so well! I guess we're all still pretty crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tausha,

    I love "Don't worry be Happy." That is the cutest story, and its so true, some songs just help you see the good in life and help you look past hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww:). I love you too Hez! We really do have the best childhood memories. Life was so care free! I always hope my kids love their childhood as much as I did. Baby mine is another one that is a classic to me. I totally got choked up the very first time I sang it to new born Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine is anything Beatles. But ALL MY LOVIN, to be specific :)It's the best feeling in the world when you hear a song from your past you'd forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexis,

    Beatles are amazing. And it really is a special moment when you're reminded of childhood memories through song.

    ReplyDelete