Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Some of the best (and most strange) things that I love about books


Reading and being around books is such a positive experience for me. I'm the kind of person who kept my English college text books instead of selling them back at the end of the semester like most students. I just couldn't give them up--I had to start collecting for my future library.

I remember going to bookstores with my mom when I was younger, and spending hours finding and reading new novels. It was so amusing to sort through books, discover new authors, and continually build my passion for reading. I still feel that way. So I thought I would share some of the things that I love about books (physical books only. As in tangible, hold-in-your-hand, really there. Sorry e-books).

I love the sight of books piled high on shelves. Remember that castle library from Beauty and the Beast? It was a massive ballroom with shelves that went on for several levels, graced by thousands of books. (Sigh, I would LOVE to have that in my home). But seriously, the image of so much knowledge, power, and beauty piled upon shelves just fills me with enthusiasm.
Photobucket

Finishing a novel is also one of the best feelings to me. I love closing the cover, taking a deep breath, and realizing that I’ve accomplished something. I’ve discovered a new story, explored new places, and I know that I’ve grown and learned more with every passing paragraph. It’s a small achievement, but I’m moving forward. Then, when I’m done, I’m hungry for more adventures, more worlds, more plots.
Photobucket

I love smelling book pages--I know it’s weird, and probably not something to share publicly. But I love the scent of fresh parchment! I’m sure it triggers something in my mind, probably memories of reading Harry Potter for hours on end. And I’ll be honest, if you hand me a new novel--I’m going to open it up in the middle, stop whatever I’m doing, and smell the pages. And then you’ll probably laugh.
Photobucket

What are some of your experiences with novels, books, or bookstores? Do you have any interesting rituals with buying or reading novels?


On a Random Note: Yes, it's true. Apparently they make a book smell spray for that reader who can't enjoy reading their e-book without the real smell.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment