Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Salt Lake Comic Con

Can we talk Salt Lake Comic Con? Guys, it was INCREDIBLEthere was so much to experience. My mind is still reeling over all the special guests, panels, and costumes I saw over the weekend.


I was excited to be on five panels throughout Comic Con. My first panel was with Brandon Mull, James Dashner, David Farland, Richard Paul Evans, and Jenni James. We spoke about our experiences writing for young adult and middle grade audiences.


My last writing panel, Woman in Writing, included Ally Condie, Jenni James, Lisa Mangum, Mette Harrison, and Laura Hickman. It was such a neat experience to be up there with these talented woman!

One of my favorite panels I was involved with was called The Happiest Creative Place on Earth: How Disney Inspired Me as an Artist. We got to talk about our favorite Disneyland rides, achievements and disappointments from Disney, and capturing magic in your own writing. It was a lot of fun--I think I'll do a little magical blog post on that later.

There were so many special guests over the weekend. Here are a just a few I got to hear from:


Stan Lee. Look at that crowd! Salt Lake Comic Con was the largest inaugural Comic Con in the United States. Go Salt Lake!


Henry Winkler. I GOT TO MEET HIM! I became completely starstruck when he asked for my name. I answered weakly, "Heather," to which he replied, "Heather, are you shy?"


Nicholas Brendon (Xander) from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It was cool to hear him talk about his experiences working with Joss Whedon.


On Friday I had a signing at the lovely Shadow Mountain booth. I got to meet a lot of really kind fans and see some great costumes.

Speaking of costumes...check out these clever creations!









I also got to see some fan art for The Shapeshifter's Secret by the talented Anastasia!


It was such a crazy, fun convention and I'm so happy I could be a part of it. Seriously, I'm so excited that Comic Con is coming back every year!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you. It looks and sounds like so much fun. I can just enjoy it vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice. There was a lot to see! I'm so happy it's an annual thing.

      Delete
  2. It looks like so much fun! I love the snake costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! I know, I had to get a picture of that one!

      Delete