Friday, August 24, 2012

My Writing Secrets

When I say writing secrets, I’m talking about different elements that help me write and edit better. I've found that surrounding myself with certain sights, smells, and sounds get my creative juices flowing. So without further ado, here are some of my secrets/tips/tricks.


Essential Oils.

















Joy, brain power, and clarity. Pretty amazing, right? You might laugh at the thought of oils giving you brain power, but I feel that it really helps me. I put a couple drops on my hand and it's enough to help keep me focused for hours. 


Something Sweet.













When I was in high school and staying up late to write monotonous papers, my mom would always put out a bowl of candy. She said that surrounding myself with positive things would help me. I love writing, obviously. However, sometimes hours of editing can become overwhelming. Chocolate keeps me happy and that translates into my writing. 

Inspiring Surrounding.
 












I absolutely love my backyard. It has weeds, it's overgrown, and there are a lot of things that need fixing but it also has water running through it. The sound of water trickling over rocks is music to my sometimes bogged down and besieged brain. The sound is calming and it also blocks out distracting day-to-day noises. 

Zipfizz.

















Lately Zipfizz and I have been best friends. We talk all the time, text each other, and share our hopes and dreams. Not really, but I do love zipfizz because it keeps me awake and alert after hours of editing. It's a little powder from Coscto that you pour into your water bottle. Grape is my favorite flavor, and it is pure heaven in a big glass of ice cold water. 

There you have it. Those are a few of my little secrets that help me write, edit, and create my stories. What are some of your tips or tricks that help you stay happy while you write?   

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely ove your writing tools/secrets. Especially the essential oils and chocolate and you're so lucky to have a stream running by your backyard! I want one of those too!

    ReplyDelete