Thursday, July 19, 2012

Kayaking through The Broken Group Islands of Vancouver


I'm sorry it's been a little bit since I last posted. I hope you've been having a great summer and soaking up the sun (responsibly, with sunblock). I actually went camping (am I crazy?) last week on The Broken Group Islands of Vancouver. Kellen and I aren't big campers, but we knew this was a trip we did not want to miss.



The journey was incredible, crazy, beautiful, rough, inspiring, scary, and it was definitely an adventure.

Since we camped on multiple islands, we had to kayak to each location. This was a whole new experience for us. 


The islands are so green and lush with trees, bushes, and plants covered in a blanket of moss. It seriously reminded me of a movie set, particularly of a popular vampire movie series filmed in Washington. Okay, I'll just say it, it reminded me of Twilight--mixed in with enchanted fairy forest, and Mermaid Lagoon from Peter Pan. 












We would go on different hikes and stumble upon waterfalls, Indian statues, and moss covered bridges that led to no where. 


My favorite part was the wildlife. Kayaking through the water and having a whale breach next to you is unreal (and terrifying). Sea lions constantly popped up their heads next to our kayak, the deer were up close and personal, and eagles soared throughout the forest. We loved finding tidepools full of crabs and beautiful, multi-colored starfish--however, we did not love so much finding HUGE slugs climbing on our tent. 







I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to see the broken islands of Vancouver, but it's safe to say I'm probably a little camped out for the rest of the Summer haha. 

What vacations have you taken this summer? Any camping adventures? 

6 comments:

  1. How fun! I used to go to Vancouver a lot growing up in Washington near the Canadian border, but I've never kayaked to the islands. It's so beautiful. Maybe your adventure will inspire a cool new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,

      I didn't know that you grew up in Washington, that's so cool! It really was so beautiful, and yes, I've already had several writing ideas sprout out of my head after exploring these islands :)

      Delete
  2. Nope, just adventures in writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounded and looks like an amazing adventure! Was that fireplace just in the middle of no where too? So crazy! Seriously a once in a lifetime experience. I agree with Alice. It totally sounded like the setting of some cool story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindy! Yes, that fireplace was so crazy to me, just out on the island all by itself. You guys are pretty adventurous, I think you should try it out!

      Delete