Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Reading List

I've inhaled a large variety of books this month, so I've complied my list and posted them here:


I absolutely loved A Year Down Yonder. It was lighthearted, funny, and very entertaining. It's a middle grade novel about a girl who goes to live with her hilariously unpredictable grandmother for a full year. It's a short read, something you can read in a day, and it received a Newbery Medal. This one was gold to me, and I will definitely be reading more Richard Peck books. 



I try to make sure that I reread as many classics as I can. I'm not sure I quite appreciated classics when I was in high school, but now I see the importance. It's remarkable to see where we've come from and how we've developed overtime. Mark Twain of course is one of the greatest authors of all time, and his southern voice is contagious. Every time I read a chapter I suddenly have a southern accent.  



The Twelve Dancing Princesses by The Brother's Grimm. Overtime it seems that Hollywood changes fairy tales. That's why I like reading the original, even though often they're more, well, grim. You know the general story of most Grimm fairy tales, but why not read the true versions? Plus if you have a kindle they're free to download. 



Have you ever read or watched The Secret? It's about changing your life for the better using laws of the universe. I'm definitely a big fan of positive thinking, so I always love reading this kind of stuff, but I understand it's not for everyone. This book is similar to the Secret, but talks about using the magic of gratitude and happiness to give you a better life. Inside you'll read chapters about magic dust, magic mirrors, and even magic wishes. 

So there you have it. That was my array of books I've read this month. Have you read any of these books? What's on your list this month? 

4 comments:

  1. I've already added A Year Down Yonder to my Amazon shopping cart, looks so cute! While I'm at it, I better add your book in there too. I don't know if you remember me, I met you at Costco in Lehi and we talked about writing. My little boy kept stealing candy and hiding under the table. Lol. I ran into you the day I pretty much told myself I should stop writing forever because it's too hard. But no matter how much I say it's not for me, my soul finds a way to keep hanging on to the craft. So, I guess we'll see what happens! But I enjoy your posts so much. I still need to get writing a new blog. my old ones are laskuh.wordpress.com and kylee.inkwall.com. Happy reading & writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laskuh,

      Thank you for your comment! I'm sorry for my late response. I really do hope that you like A Year Down Yonder. And yes, I do remember you from Costco, thank you so much for stopping by and talking to me! Please never ever stop writing, obviously you are meant to do it!

      Heather

      Delete